Tuesday, July 31, 2012

4: Screencasting


When I first read this assignment, I was nervous about what I was going to do, how I was going to do it, and how I would ever get this to work.  Maybe it was also some of the buzz that I had heard about it from others in the class, or maybe just because I had never done something like this before, but I was hesitant to get started.  It seems so professional and "tech-y", therefore I assumed it would be very difficult.

However, after looking at a few of the screencasts and reading my classmates posts and reflections, not only did I realize that it is not impossible, but also that I could do a screencast about almost anything!  I choose to use SMART Recorder because it is already on my computer, I use the SMART software a lot, and all of my colleagues also have it on their computers, so I figured they would all be able to view and listen to my screencast without having to download other programs. 

I did not even have that many problems after watching the "how to" video from Mounds View Tech Resources, which preemptively caught any problems I would have with sound and recoding volume.  I would use this in my classroom--it is a way better way to post lectures, Powerpoints, and Smart Presentations because you can explain AND show what is on the screen, or how to do something.  It is way more useful than just notes, or an outline.  Think of the possibilities for plans for substitute teachers or absent students!






5 comments:

  1. ¡Muy bien! I hadn't learned about nosotras before. I learned more about Smart Recorder at my tech conference today--I think that's the way to go when recording screencasts. Yours turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great tool for your students when practicing on their own. Think if they were all in the computer lab with headphones, they could do this on their own! If they were confused or forgot something you were saying, all they would need to do is playback the presentation. Will you be releasing the rest of your curriculum through Rosetta Stone? :) Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice educational use there. If you recorded an entire year's worth of classes, you could just sit back and grade papers while they listened the next year, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this a lot- it would be great to use with a sub :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¡Buen trabajo! Can I show this to students who need a refresher?

    ReplyDelete