Tuesday, August 7, 2012

6: Study Tools

I made a Tagxedo because I just had to after looking at all of the other really cool ones created by the other bloggers in this class!  I want to make them as covers to my binders for different curriculum, I want to make one and frame it in my future home, and maybe I will put one on my website!?  I am still wondering how to use this best in my classroom, and how my students could use it as a study tool.  They could use it to categorize their new vocabulary, but it may work best with cultural projects and idea.  I like that when you click on one of the words, it google searches it for you, and am wondering what other possibilities this has.  Can I change the link to one of my choosing?  Or could I have just the definition come up instead of a list of websites?  Something that I will definitely look into!  I love the colors and themes that it gives you--I feel all creative and Etsy-like.





I just spent a ton of time making a timeline on Timetoast.  It is a really cool program, and I had a ton of fun uploading pictures for each event.  This has a lot of potential for students and lots of different uses in the classroom.  I think it would be really cool for a student to start on of these at the beginning of their history classes, or even at the start of Middle School and track major evens in history as they learn about them.  The way it is organized and can easily be edited makes it ideal for on-going projects and could really give students a big picture of history, the order of events, and how they are related to each other.  My husband is in school right now to be a social studies teacher--he loves history--and I am excited to tell him about this web 2.0 tool!


3 comments:

  1. I loved your posts and by the way, your picture is beautiful! Your trip to Mexico sounded fantastic from a student's POV (Tayor from MVHS) and I hope it was fantastic from your POV too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Tagxedo. I want to make one too, but I haven't figured out how I'd use it for school yet. I like your ideas (and I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with one hanging up in my house!). I like your Timetoast, too. The pictures add so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat timeline on timetoast. I can see how this would be an effective tool teaching the history of just about anything!

    ReplyDelete