Thursday, August 23, 2012

FINAL REFLECTION


Wow!  I did it!  It took a lot of time, but it was time well spent.  I appreciate this class a lot.  We did not have busy work, and each of our activities was meaningful and different.  I did not feel like I was doing the same thing, learning the same thing, or just regurgitating information.  I got to learn about something new, and experiment with it.  Often times in a class, we learn about something by listening to a lecture or reading about it.  Then we are tested on what we learned, or have to prove it by turning in a homework assignment that ends up in a filing cabinet for years.  I love that everything we did for this class was published to our own blogs.  What an amazing way to keep track of our work along with reflections on how we were feeling throughout the process.  It really gives an accurate idea of what we learned and how we felt while using that tool.

I also like how we have all commented on 3 other projects for each activity.  At first I didn't love this aspect, but now I really know who has taken this class, who really understands some of the tools, who feels comfortable with the tools, and who else I can go to with questions or concerns about the web 2.0 tools that we have been learning about. 

Many of these assignments took a lot longer for me to complete than they appear to, or should have, because the learning occurred as the result of a process.  While there were many challenges and obstacles in some of the activities, the ultimate success of completing them all and learning in the process was worth the time and frustration.  The feeling of success is not just a short-term excitement, but it will carry through the school year as I use these tools with my students.  The continued success of time saved, increased communication, stronger assessments, more interesting presentations, and student involvement will benefit me, my classes, and my students this year, and for years to come.  

3 comments:

  1. Agreed 100%. In the tech/software world, it seems the best way to learn is to jump in and make something, and then riding through the learning curve, even if it takes a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree it's awesome we didn't have, "busy work". My fiance is back in school right now too and often has, "busy work" and everyone just complains; it does no good. I didn't even think about the fact that now we know who the, "experts" are (or at least who has done the project before)! Peer support for the year :) Also, do you think that now you got through the learning stage of most of the projects it will be faster and more simple as you go on? The hard work is done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, congratulations on being one of the experts now! I agree that we are much more prepared for meeting challenges this year. I know I need to explore more the tools we learned this summer. What an accomplishment. I will continue to follow you!

    ReplyDelete