Thursday, August 16, 2012

9: Polling and Data-Gathering


I love Poll Everywhere!  I love taking out my cell phone during meetings to text in my response to polls, whether I am providing serious feedback, or silly comments.  It is a fun way to gather information, it is anonymous, so you can be honest in how you are feeling, and you can see your feedback instantly on the screen.  You know your answer was voiced and counted in the percentages that update automatically.  You can also see how your answer compares with others who are taking the same poll.  For example, if the poll is on how well you understand something, if you are the only one who does not understand, you may need to step it up a notch, but you also know that you can ask any of the other people in the room who responded that they understand the concept well.  It is also great formative assessment for the teacher to see how many people understand, and how much more class time needs to be spent on a particular concept/subject. This was way easier than I thought! I have received google forms in my e-mail, and I have responded to several of them, but I have never created my own. I like the idea of e-mailing a form to my students to collect feedback on larger scale projects or units. I love Poll Everywhere for simple questions and quick informative assessments, but google forms gives more options for students to answer-- whether is is short answer, paragraph response, true/false or multiple choice. I also like that I can access the responses at any time though my google account. I could also post a google form questionnaire on my website for students and parents to respond to, rather than having it e-mailed to them.

8 comments:

  1. It's nice to know that this was your first google form, because it looks just like those created by the "experts".
    I'm interested to know how you like the format for the responses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these projects look great Gina! I think being anonymous could have its advantages and disadvantages in a middle school setting ;-p I agree about the google form having a better selection of responses and being able to access it on your own time. It's nice that it puts everything into a spreadsheet that is easy to read. I've heard that you can even make graphs out of them? I haven't tried this yet and actually didn't even remember until I was typing this response haha. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Work! Yes the google quizzes are nice. I am going to try using them for my lesson checkpoints instead of paper but I will know who the students are. They will study and re take it if their score is less than 80% The polls are so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the poll as well. It is a lot of fun to use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on both Gina! I think there are so many ways we can reduce the paper trail this year!! This will help a ton and I also liked that you could really format it with m/c or short response etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Poll Everywhere and Google Forms complement each other well, as you pointed out in your reflection. Poll Everywhere is great for quick formative assessment, while Google Forms allows you to collect more in-depth information. I like that students will be able to receive a copy of their responses, so they can go back and look at them. It would be another way for them to review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This seems like a great way to keep kids involved in a class, and receive the formative assessment data that is talked about so often. I'm wondering why some of the poll numbers you text/type in are numerical and some are not. It would make more sense to me to have them all separated by more than 10 digits to avoid confusion if you aren't going to have them all be sequential.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done, Mrs. Fosse. I like that students can respond to poll anywhere via smartphone, regular phone, or tablet. Almost every single student will have one of these.

    ReplyDelete